[Madlug] slave servers

Matt Radtke mradtke at securepipe.com
Wed Jun 29 08:56:18 CDT 2005

*dons zealot cap*
*climbs soap box*

>> I'm in the early process of setting up a backup server for one of our
>> (linux x86) internal apache boxes at work.  The idea I had was to have an
>> exact mirror of data between both servers, and then some kind of
>> implementation to direct traffic between both of them.  If one goes down,
>> the other would magically take over all traffic while the busted one is
>> getting fixed.

Well, you could consider running your machines on OpenBSD and running
CARP.[0]  That would provide instant failover, provided you sync your data
some way.

If Open just won't do it for you as a webserver OS, you could use it
instead as a load balancer in front of your two webservers, using PF's
load balancing.[1]

*climbs down off of soap box*
*removes hat*

[0]  http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#CARP