[Madlug] open source equivalents for Dreamweaver

Christopher Wilson christopher.j.wilson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 23:48:20 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Elliott Rezny
<Elliott at elliottrezny.com> wrote:
> I looked through the list at osalt, and the program that seems to fit
> the bill best is aptana which I think I'm going to start using. The only
> other one that looked close, quanta, doesn't seem to be under
> development or even supported anymore.

If you're looking for more of a WYSIWYG-focused HTML editor then the
editor that comes with Mozilla Seamonkey[1] is worth a look. I don't
know if this counts as a distinct entry, since it may be based off the
same codebase, but Kompozer[2] is also a good-looking HTML editor.

[1]: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
[2]: http://www.kompozer.net/

> [...]

> Glad I saw this thread. The only responses I had ever gotten when
> looking for a dreamweaver-like program is that real programmers do it by
> hand, which is not an answer at all of course.

What I hope those "real programmers" meant, even if they didn't say
it, was that they write something that *generates* HTML by hand.
Writing HTML more than a few times is a bummer, automate!  My favorite
approach to creating HTML is writing markdown[3] and then running it
through pandoc[4]. I have also used the amazing org-mode[5] in Emacs
to export to HTML.

[3]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
[4]: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/
[5]: http://orgmode.org/